LAB MANAGER/RESEARCH ASSISTANT @ Stony Brook University
A FULL-TIME LAB MANAGER/RESEARCH ASSISTANT is sought by the Social Developmental Neuroscience Laboratory (www.sdnlaboratory.com) at Stony Brook University (Dr. Johanna Jarcho, Director), to begin in Summer 2017. The lab aims to isolate neural mechanisms and corresponding behavior that support normative development of social cognition, or increase risk for and expression of deficits in social competence linked to psychopathology. Behavioral, psychophysiology, eye tracking, EEG, and fMRI methods are used to achieve these aims. The individual who fills this position will be involved in numerous aspects of the research process (e.g., recruiting, screening and running adult and adolescent participants, study design and implementation, preprocessing and analysis of data, preparation of publications) and contribute to day-to-day operations of the lab (e.g., various administrative duties, oversight of volunteer RAs, IRB management). This 2-year position is ideal for a highly motivated individual who plans to apply to graduate school in psychology or related fields.
Essential Duties: • Data Acquisition: recruiting, schedule, staff, and run research visits with adult and adolescent participants (25%)
• Management: training and supervising volunteer research assistants (25%)
• Coordination: coordination, scheduling for lab, budgeting, approval of research by oversight bodies, and administrative tasks of the laboratory (20%)
• Data Analysis: study design, data management, and analysis (15%)
• Special Projects: Assisting the Principal Investigator in the preparation of presentations, manuscripts, and grant applications (15%)
Preferred Degree/Qualification: • Bachelor’s degree in Psychology or related field in hand or by official start date
• Prior experience with fMRI data collection and analysis
• Prior experience with eye-tracking data collection and analysis
• Experience with programing for EPrime, Matlab, and/or Python
• Experience collecting data with children
Required Qualifications: (Evidenced by an attached resume) • Associate’s or Bachelor's degree in Psychology or related field.
• Ability to demonstrate professional competence in research activities.
• Experience working in psychology, neuroscience, or related lab.
Interested applicants can send their CV, two letters of reference, and a cover letter describing their research interests and career goals to Dr. Jarcho (firstname.lastname@example.org).
• Please include "FULL-TIME LAB MANAGER/RESEARCH ASSISTANT” in the subject line.