Whittier College Magna Cum Laude Graduating Senior Seeking Clinical Research Experience

Whittier College Magna Cum Laude Graduating Senior Seeking Clinical Research Experience

adechert
I am a senior at Whittier College graduating Magna Cum Laude this Spring 2017 with a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology. I plan to apply to Ph.D. programs in clinical psychology, and am currently seeking full-time clinical research assistant positions and lab manager positions to gain more work experience before applying to doctoral programs.

I am broadly interested in identity development, self-esteem, and relationships in adolescents and young adults, and how these concepts impact clinical disorders and maladaptive behaviors, such as anxiety, depression, addiction, eating disorders, OCD, and bipolar disorder.

I have two years of research experience at the Department of Psychological Sciences Research Lab at Whittier College under the supervision and mentorship of two faculty members: Dr. Christina Scott in the Social Psychology Lab and Dr. Lorinda Camparo in the Developmental Psychology Lab. My research with Dr. Camparo focused on educating elementary school children on the court system, and our presentation at the Western Psychological Association Annual Convention (2016) received the Psi Chi Award for Research. My research with Dr. Scott focuses on outcomes of different types of sexual relationships in college students. As a research assistant/associate, I created an original survey to measure breakup distress, sexual regret, relationship investment, sexual self-esteem, and sexual desire in college students. I recruited participants, entered and analyzed data in SPSS, and drew conclusions from the research to find trends in the expectancies, practices, and outcomes of college students’ sexual behavior.

Additionally, I have experience presenting my research at conferences, including the American Association of University Women (2016 & 2017) Conferences in Whittier, California, and the Whittier Undergraduate Research Conference (2016). This year, I will present at the Western Psychological Association (2017) conference in Sacramento, California, the Whittier Undergraduate Research Conference (2017), and at the UCLA Psychology Undergraduate Research Conference (2017).

Furthermore, I am grateful to have had the opportunity to work in a lab at a small liberal arts college, where I have gained experience under multiple tenured social science faculty members as a teaching assistant. As a teaching assistant, I have experience creating and teaching lessons, grading coursework, and providing individual mentorship and tutoring to students. I have served as a TA for three different classes, including Statistics, Research Methods, and Psychology of Human Sexuality. I also serve as a tutor for these classes at the Whittier College Center for Advising and Academic Success where the students I mentor continually improve academically with my support and guidance.

Moreover, I have clinical experience working at The Wright Institute Los Angeles, a non-profit clinic in Santa Monica, California which provides therapy on a sliding scale and trains psychology graduate and postdoctoral students. Exposure to this world has given me a wealth of knowledge regarding the daily activities in a psychotherapy clinic. It provided me an invaluable experience working with confidential patient files, assisting postdoctoral students with dissertation work, and maintaining business-to-business and business-to-public connections with other agencies.

I am ambitious, detail-oriented, innovative, and eager to learn more about psychology and involve myself in a field of research I am passionate about. I understand the importance of gaining experience before beginning the next stage in my academic endeavors. I look forward to expanding on my current lab experience and feel prepared to manage a rigorous psychology research lab.

If you have a position available, please feel free to contact me for my full CV. Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Alyson Dechert
Contact information:
alysondechert@gmail.com